Shooting Takes Place at Mall Of America, Building Goes into Full Lockdown: Photos

Two people were wounded in a New Year’s Eve shooting at the Mall of America.

The mall was locked down for about 45 minutes after the gunfire, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

The shooter fled the mall, police said. No arrest has yet been made.

Police said that one person was wounded in the leg and a second was grazed in the incident, which took place at about 5 p.m. on the third floor of the Bloomington, Minnesota, mall.

“When we heard the shot and heard the screams we all got frazzled,” said Alexis Gonzalez, who works at the Windsor clothing store on the vast mall’s second level.

“We started seeing from out our store window that people were upstairs running. That’s when a girl came in our store saying someone got shot, and that’s when the mall lockdown alarms started, and people started rushing into our store,” he said.

“People were running trying to get into stores, and you could see mall security rushing over to the north side on the third level,” Gonzalez said.

Shopper Josh Ellingson was in the mall with his family when the lockdown began.

The family was “told we had to get into a store for a lockdown,” he said. “We didn’t get any other information other than that. We didn’t hear a whole lot other than the announcement and then being told we could leave. It was definitely a surreal situation.”

Deputy Bloomington Police Chief Kim Clauson said police were patrolling the third floor of the mall when one officer heard one gunshot.

“It does appear there was an altercation between two males before the shot was fired,” Clauson said.

Clauson noted that although the Mall of America does not allow guns on the premises, it also has no systems in place such as searches or metal detectors to give that policy any teeth, according to WCCO-TV.

The mall closed about 15 minutes after the lockdown was lifted, and canceled its planned New Year’s Eve activities.

Via    The Western Journal

Around The Web